Biographies - 19th Century
Potted Biographies of 19th Century Members
Abercromby, (Sir) Robert (1784–1855) F.R.SE.
Club President 1824–28. He donated the Abercromby Cup in 1825. In 1831 he succeeded to the title of Fifth Baronet of Birkenbog and Forglen. Civil Servant in the Madras Presidency from 1802 until returning home in 1808; resigned 1809. Member of Parliament for Banff 1812-1818; appointed Deputy Lieutenant of Kirkcudbrightshire and Banffshire.
Record of Services of the Honourable East India Company's Civil Servants in the Madras Presidency, from 1741 to 1858. Charles Campbell Prinsep, Trübner, 1885 – India
Aytoun, Captain Marriot Chadwick Walker (1787–1854)
Capt. Aytoun (Royal Artillery ) was one of the original 31 members of the club, and a member of the committee for the match against London 1824–28.
Bell, George M.D.
Joined 1840 (p13)
Berry, Andrew (1764–1833) M.D. (Edinburgh 1784).
Physician, Surgeon and Botanist, F.R.S.E. Dr Berry was the first president of the club, to which he gave the Berry Medal for championship play (later replaced by the Abercromby Cup).
He held various positions in the Indian Medical Service: Assistant Surgeon 1784; Surgeon 1791; Superintending Surgeon 1801; First Secretary to the Indian Medical Board; Member of Madras Medical Board 1807-14 and a member of the Asiatic Society 1796.
Wrote an account of the columbo or columba root, Asiatic Researches, vol. X, p. 385, 1811. The genus "Berrya" was named after him by his friend William Roxburgh (1751–1815). He was a nephew of James Anderson (1738–1809), Physician and Botanist. After Anderson’s death, the botanical garden he had created in Madras was maintained by Berry.
Bertram, C[harles] (1803–1886)
Joined 1848? (p15)-says: Pres. 1869-70
Brown, George (1771–1843)
Original member Accountant/Land Surveyor
Buchanan, John (1768–1836)
Original member 61 George St (error for 64?) Daughter Helen married Col (formerly Capt) James Watkins in 1843. Also an original member.
Campbell, Capt. James Archibald (1800–1878)
Capt 47th Regiment. Son of Duncan Campbell of Inverneill and Ross, and Eliza[beth] Kennedy Cooper.
Born Patna, India. m. (1) 1832, 16 yr old daughter of Lt-Col Bissell Harvey (Sophia Amelia Alexandrine Harvey), who died shortly after giving birth to their child in November 1832.) m. (2) 1840 Ann Bowdon, 3 children.
Cappie, Dr James (1829–1899) M.D.
Joined the club 1863.Librarian. President 1876–77. James Cappie was born in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. He studied at Lanark Grammar School, followed by Edinburgh University, graduating in 1850. For some time he was an assistant at Minto House Medical School before setting up his own practice. Aside from being a frequent contributor to various scientific journals, he also published several medical works, including Essays on Medical Sciences (1859); The Causation of Sleep (1872); Intra-Cranial Circulation and its relation to the Physiology of the Brain (1890).
Played for the East of Scotland in matches against the West in 1871, 1872, 1876, 1880, 1881, 1882.
Falkirk Herald, 21 January 1899; Edinburgh Medical journal 1899.
Cazenove, Rev. John Gibson (1821–1896) D.D.
President 1880–81. John Gibson was part of a family of French Protestants that claimed to be a branch of the De Cazenoves of Pradines, France. He was born in London, an only son, and when he was ten he was sent to a high-class school in Brighton, from which he went to the Royal Free Grammar School, Marlborough.
In 1840 he entered Brasenose College, Oxford where, in 1841, he gained a prize for the best Latin and English essays. He gained his B.A. degree there in 1843 and then spent some time travelling abroad before returning to Oxford to take his M.A. in 1846. It appears he may have been heading for a career in Law, but soon after he took Holy orders, was ordained deacon and, in 1848, priest. He officiated as curate in Leeds and at Crick in Northamptonshire before moving to Scotland where he acted as Vice-Provost of the Theological College on the Isle of Cumbrae from 1854 to 1867, and Provost from 1867 to 1875, when he resigned his position. (During the latter phase he obtained his B.D. and D.D. degrees.)
He removed to Edinburgh, though he had earlier established a connection to the city for he appears in the Electoral Roll of 1869–70 at 66 Great King Street. He became Warden of St Andrew’s Home and, later, Sub-Dean and Chancellor of St Mary’s Cathedral. Dr Cazenove was regarded as a very distinguished representative of the Episcopalian Church in Scotland, as well as being select preacher at Oxford 1881–83 and at Cambridge in 1885. He contributed articles to the Encyclopedia Britannica and the Dictionary of Ecclesiastical Biography, as well as publishing works such as Some Aspects of the Reformation, and Lives of St Hilary and St Martin. He also wrote on Universalism and The Possibilities of Union. He was also for some years a member of the Edinburgh School Board.
Dr Cazenove joined the Edinburgh Chess Club in 1878 and played for the East of Scotland against the West in the matches of 1880, 1881 and 1892. At the time of his death he lived at 22 Alva Street, a short distance from where the club would later secure permanent premises. He bequeathed part of his library to the club.
Dr Cazenove was the son of John Cazenove, who published A Selection of Curious and Entertaining Games at Chess in 1817.
Perthshire Constitutional & Journal, 11 October 1875; The Scotsman and The Edinburgh Evening News, 1 October 1896; Falkirk Herald, 11 Nov 1896.
Christie, Capt. Robert (1818–1896)
President 1873–74. Saw service with the Honourable East India Company, reaching the rank of Captain in the 5th Bengal Cavalry. He saw a considerable amount of action, including the Afghan Campaign of 1839–42, and was left for dead on the field at the 1849 battle of Chillianwala in the Punjab. He retired from service in 1851 and returned to Scotland. He resided in Edinburgh, but on the death of his father in early 1872, he succeeded to the family estate at Durie, near Leven, Fife. Thereafter he spent more time in that county, devoting his time to the management and improvement of the estate and to county and local business. He was a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Supply, a Deputy Lieutenant, a member of the Parish Council, and Chairman of the Greig Institute.
The Scotsman, 31 August 1896.
Original member. Printer, 17 Keir St. M/ship closed 1836.
Comrie, John (1847–1930)
President 1900-01 and 1917-19 Born Middlesex, father Duncan James an Inland Revenue employee, as was John. Married in 1881 in Birmingham, though by then resident in Alloa as Excise Officer.
Played in the 2nd SCA Correspondence Tourney 1887>
1896. Played in East v West match – drew with Whiteley
1898 FH col 13 April, SCA Director
1899 Vice- President, year before becoming president
On team v London
Cunnynghame, Rev HCR
1897 v Glasgow
Donaldson, James (c1788–1848) S.S.C., Accountant.
Wrote the Chess section for Encyclopaedia Britannica (1856-check this). Generally accepted as the leading force in the correspondence match against London CC.
Trustee of National Security Savings Bank 1836 (lived at Lauriston Place)
James Donaldson jun (son) joined club 1841 (page 13)
See CPC 1851, p123: Capt Kennedy writes about Donaldson. Also, in Waifs and Strays.
Douglas, Archibald (1779–1833) Advocate
Original member. 15 Gt King St
Forsyth Notation. Moved from Glw to Edinburgh 1887?
Represented the club at formation of SCA 1884.
Frazer, Dr James (1829–1876)[Fraser]
Members Roll – p16. Club champion 1860–1874. President 1866–67
Joined 1838 (p12)-says Treas. 1852.
Gordon, Reverend Thomas (1817–1888) D.D. (“Gamma”)
Joined 1840 (page 13)
BCM 1888, pp 97-8 – many details in obituary. Game on pp 159-60.
Greenhill, James (1817–1896)
Joined club 1844 (p14 of Members Roll) Joint- Treasurer 1852–53 and 1853–54, Treasurer 1864–74 President 1875–76
James Greenhill was born in humble circumstances in the village of Springfield, by Cupar, Fife, and early on was in the care of two unmarried sisters. He received the best education their means could afford, first at Pitlessie School in Cupar and afterwards at Edinburgh University.
After an apprenticeship with Drummond & Mitchell, writers, Cupar, Mr Greenhill went to Glasgow, where he was for a short time an assistant with the Glasgow Fire Insurance Company. In 1842 he joined the Clydesdale Bank, and in 1847 he was promoted to joint manager in Edinburgh and, in 1848, manager.
Mr Greenhill was closely associated with the Edinburgh Philosophical Institution at 4 Queen Street; he was a director, as well as acting as treasurer. He was also a director of several companies and auditor for several companies and organisations, including the Anstruther and St Andrews Railway Company and the Edinburgh Geological Society. He was a Justice of the Peace, a member of the Free High Church, and a senior member of the Bruntsfield Golf Club.
The Scotsman, 26 October 1896 Edinburgh Evening News, 26 October 1896 St Andrews Citizen, 31 October 1896 East of Fife Record, 6 November 1896
Gregory, James (1796–1855)
Employee of Royal Bank of Scotland (appointed 1808, later second teller)
Harrison, George (Sir) (1812–1885)
Lord Provost of Edinburgh
Innes, Thomas (1797–1844) W.S.
Original member. 59 Frederick St
Johnstone, R. Bruce
Joined 1864 (p19), 67 Gt King St
Jordan, Richard (1872–1911)
Draughts world champion. Played for ECC, later Edinburgh Working Men’s Institute CC
Kennedy, Dr Charles Fraser (1859–1909)
Kennedy, Hugh Alexander (1809–1878)
Joined club 1840.On council in 1841 almanac. Served as Lieutenant in the Madras Native Infantry, retiring in his early thirties. He was later a Captain in the Forfar and Kincardine Militia. Author of Waifs and Strays, Chiefly from the Chess Board, 1875. Donated his library to the Edinburgh Chess Club.
Kronheim, Joseph Martin (1810–1896)
Member 1876, but also appears in Members’ Roll for 1891 (left and rejoined?) Lithographer see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Martin_Kronheim
See also history at https://www.georgebaxter.com/j-m-kronheim-co-full-company-histor
Born Magdeburg, in Edinburgh by age 22.
Laidlaw, James (1749–1831)
Original member Heriot Row (Nr.7 in 1822-23 PO directory)
Latta, David Miller (1833–1895) S.S.C
President 1879–80 Secretary (in latter position at time of death)
David Latta, who was born in Edinburgh, was a lawyer and notary public. When he was about ten years of age he suffered from a disease in one of his legs, which resulted in amputation of the limb. He played chess privately, and it wasn’t until 1875 that he joined the Edinburgh Chess Club.
Mr Latta held many offices, including vice-president, president, and secretary, holding that position at the time of his death. His obituary in the 1895 British Chess Magazine, which quoted the Weekly Scotsman, said:- ‘He devoted the utmost attention to the secretarial duties, and but for his invaluable assistance in an emergency, the continuation of the existence of the Edinburgh Chess Club–the oldest chess club in the United Kingdom–was endangered. He also acted as secretary for the East of Scotland in the series of matches against the West.
Mr Latta was club champion on several occasions, and in 1888 he defeated Captain Mackenzie in a simultaneous exhibition. He won first prize in the Second Correspondence Chess Tournament of the Scottish Chess Association (1888–89) with 13½/15.
Liston, Rev. Henry (1771–1836)
Henry Liston was born at Aberdour, Fife. He studied for the ministry at Edinburgh University, and in 1793 he was appointed minister at Ecclesmachan – about eight miles west of the city – and remained in that post until his death.
He was one of the original 31 members of the club; he served on council and was one of the committee members for the 1824–28 correspondence match against London.
Reverend Liston is also known as the inventor of the Enharmonic Organ, which was designed to give the diatonic scales in perfect tune. He wrote Essay on Perfect Intonation (1812) and other writings included the article ‘Music’ in the Edinburgh Encyclopaedia. He also invented an improved form of plough, which was used in his district.
Mr Liston was the father of Robert Liston, the renowned surgeon (1794–1847) and Reverend David Liston (1799–1881), Professor of Hebrew and Oriental Languages at Edinburgh University.
Dictionary of National Biography 1885–1900
Lockhart, James (1780–1858)
8 Union St Wine merchant
Macfie, Claud (1822–1903)
Macfie, John (1826–1896)
One of the many in the Local Committee involved in the organisation of the 1867 Dundee tournament.
Club President 1870–71 Tied for =2nd with WW Robertson, also of ECC, in the minor tournament at the 1887 SCA Congress. Won the play-off.
Mackersy, William (1795–1875) W.S.
On match committee v London.
McArthur, Reverend George (1829–1913) M.A.
Joined 1872 (p21) Secretary 1872–1889. Emigrated to USA summer of 1889, joined Brooklyn CC. Returned to UK, died 1913 Middlesex. 1911 census: father-in-law to Alfred Vardon, another ECC member. Agnes his wife.
McGuffie, Robert Alexander (?–1912) Solicitor.
Born ca. 1864 in Berbice, British Guiana. His father, John McGuffie was Minister of St Saviour’s there 1862–1878. By 1881 he was shown as a solicitor’s Clerk Apprentice in the census. President 1905–06.
McMillan, Edward (1793–1850) Writer [SSC]
Meikle, Christopher (1823–1906)
Member from 1844–1906. Pres: 1851–52; 1871–72; 1886–89. Also served as Secretary. Several times Medallist.
Meiklejohn, Hugh Cree (1797–1849)
Lawyer. Member of Edinburgh Juridical Society. Son of the Rev. Prof. Hugh Meiklejohn of Abercorn, West Lothian. He died in Calcutta, but is buried in Abercorn.
Club Secretary 1823–25.
Mellis, James (1810–1899)
President 1874–75 Mr Mellis was born in Jersey in the Channel Islands. He is closely associated with Prestonpans, East Lothian, where, for some years, he was the chief magistrate. He founded James Mellis & Co, soapmakers, which at one point was producing 90,000 lbs. per annum. He supported many efforts to improve the town’s facilities, including a subscription library, though at the height of support for Garibaldi, the assets were sold and approximately £20 was handed over to the Garibaldian Patriotic Fund. He also encouraged the opening of a Coffee House and Recreation Room.
Mr Mellis joined the Edinburgh Chess Club in 1860 and served several terms as Vice-President and one term as President.
Mr Mellis was the son of James Mellis and Catherine Paterson. His father attained the rank of Captain in the 69th Regiment and died in Naples in 1839. His mother died in Edinburgh in 1878, aged 95. Both his parents are remembered by Merchiston Castle School.
Edinburgh Evening News, 2 August 1899; Prestonpans and Vicinity: historical, ecclesiastical and traditional, by P.M’Neill, 1902; Merchiston Castle School 1855-58, by David Murray (1915).
Miller, Robert (1827–1904)
Robert Miller was born in West Kilbride, Ayrshire. He was trained as a civil engineer, and was for some time on the staff of the Government Ordnance Survey, but for reasons of health, he never practised his profession. He moved to Edinburgh in the 1850s, and by the time of the 1861 census he was living at 65 Lauriston Place and his occupation was land surveyor.
Mr Miller was deeply involved in municipal affairs. In 1882 he was elected to the Town Council for the Newington Ward, where he served alongside [Sir] George Harrison, who followed Miller as club president 1883–85. In 1890 Robert Miller was elected Lord Dean of Guild, a position he held until his retirement in 1898. He was a director of the Royal Blind Asylum and School, a director of the House of Refuge for the Destitute, and he was also associated with the Social and Sanitary Congress. He was a member and elder of Newington Parish Church, and he also acted as representative elder from the Town Council of Edinburgh to the General Assembly.
It is understandable that someone who was Lord Dean of Guild and a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries would have a deep interest in the history of the city. Robert Miller published several works, including The Municipal Buildings of Edinburgh (1895), The Edinburgh Dean of Guild Court (1896), and John Knox and the Town Council of Edinburgh (1898).
Mr Miller joined Edinburgh Chess Club in 1872; he was President 1882–83.
The Scotsman and Edinburgh Evening News, 12 November 1904
Mitchell, William (1778–1860)Cashier, Royal Bank. Home: 58 George Square, Edinburgh.
One of the original 31 members Later, after ‘succeeding’ to Jane Innes fortune, used name William Mitchell Innes (See Stow Succession Case.
Original member. Royal Bank. Home: 58 George Square, Edinburgh.
More, John (1781–1857)
Original member. First Secretary 1822–23
Accountant with Royal Bank of Scotland.
Murray, William Henry (1790–1852)
Manager, Theatre Royal (h/a/ 4 Thistle St, 1822) Actor, manager and theatre owner, friend of Walter Scott, associated with dramatization of Scott’s Waverley novels. In 1809 the theatre was taken over by Sarah Siddons's actor son, Henry Siddons. It went into a period of decline under his control, but following his death in 1815 was revived by his wife, Harriet Siddons and her brother William Henry Murray who controlled the theatre until 1851. The theatre was at its peak from 1815 to 1850, and it was rebuilt in 1830.
Omond, DrRobert (1806–1881) M.D. F.R.C.S., Edinburgh.
Secretary 1866–73 President 1878–79
Robert Omond was born in Orkney. His mother, widowed in 1813 and thinking of education for her three sons, took her family to Edinburgh in 1821. Robert was apprenticed to Dr Adolphus Ross F.R.C.S.E., and after a successful career as a student he graduated in 1828.
Dr Omond then spent some time in various medical schools on the Continent before settling in Edinburgh and in 1832 he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons. Thereafter, he served in several positions at the college: librarian (1840–56); examiner (from 1844); member of council, and secretary of the college (from 1873). He also served as president from 1859–61. He was also president of the Edinburgh Medico-Chirurgical Society, and was for some years one of the medical managers of the Royal Infirmary. He held a high position in the Free St George’s Church in the city, and filled several positions with the Medical Missionary Society, first as joint-secretary in 1841, and as treasurer from 1843 to his death.
In 1838 Dr Omond married a daughter of Dr Thomas Stewart Traill, Professor of Medical Jurisprudence in Edinburgh University, and also a native of Orkney.
Refer to Robert Traill Omond (1858–1914) and the Ben Nevis observation station.
The Scotsman, 15 December 1881 British Medical Journal, December 1881 Orkney Herald and Weekly Advertiser, 15 April 1891
Orrock, Alexander (1875–1923)
Secretary 1904–06 and President 1908–09
1919 address in newspaper shown as 16 Dalrymple Cres.
Joined 1981 (p13). Later moved to Glasgow.
Pender, Thomas jun (1784–1861)
Comptroller of Stamp Duties. One of original 31 members.
Pringle, James (1847–1926) C.A., F.F.A.
Born in Elgin, Morayshire. He studied at Aberdeen University before moving to Edinburgh, where he qualified as a chartered accountant and as an actuary. He was admitted to the Society of Accountants in 1870. From 1873 he was a partner in the stockbrokers, John Robertson & Company, Edinburgh, retiring in 1911. He was also the director of a number of finance and investment companies. His bequests ─ to be paid after the death of his wife ─included £52,000 to Morayshire, the bulk of it going to his home town of Elgin. At the time of his death he lived at 42 Drumsheugh Gardens, Edinburgh.
Club Treasurer 1874-1910. President 1910-11.
Rankine Simson, Charles Simson (1847–1911) W.S.
With firm of Hope, Simson and Lennox, Edinburgh.
Former SCA President. Donated trophy. JP for Roxburgh
Rattray, Dr James Clerk (1834–1896) F.R.S.E.
President 1881–82 His family name is taken from the ancient lands of Rattray in Perthshire. He studied medicine at Edinburgh University – during which time he joined the club – graduated in 1857 and joined the army. He served as Assistant Surgeon (Captain) with the 25th Regiment of Foot, including some time spent in Gibralter.
On the death of his father in 1867 he returned to the family home at Coral Bank, Blairgowrie, married in 1869 and became active in local affairs. He was an enthusiastic angler, and he was involved with a small chess club in Blairgowrie.
Dr Rattray also maintained property in Edinburgh, where he was involved with several organisations. In 1874 he became a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, and in 1882 he was admitted as a member of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Dr Rattray was club President 1881–82, and he was one of three members of the club present at the founding of the Scottish Chess Association in Glasgow in 1884 (the others were Christopher Meikle and John Fraser). He played in six of the East of Scotland matches versus the West.
Perthshire Advertiser, 26 February 1896.
Richardson, Ralph (1845–1933)
Falkirk Herald 15 Nov 1916: sent letter to him congratulating him on 50 years membership
Richmond, George William (1877–1941)
Scottish ch 1910. Richardson teams 1910, 1912, 1920
Robertson, Alexander Lambie (1794–1868) W.S. A.I.A.
One of original 31 members.
Author of …Periodical Savings, applied to provident purposes 1852 Defects in the Practice of Life Assurance 1848.
Robertson, Colonel James A. (1803–1874)
James Alexander Robertson served with the 82nd Regiment of Foot, (Prince of Wales's Volunteers). He was promoted from Captain to Major on 27th October 1848; Appointed Lieutenant Colonel. 1st Played at Dundee 1867.
Robertson, Walter Wood (1845–1907)
1885 Scottish ch – Minor Tournament, 4½/7, finishing =2-3 with Berwick, behind Galloway 5½. Mr Robertson won a deciding play-off game for 2nd place.
1886 Scottish ch – Minor Tournament, scored 9/12, finishing =2-3 behind JM Finlayson 9½. Mr Robertson won a deciding play-off game for 2nd place.
1887 Scottish ch – Minor Tournament, scored 8½/11, finishing =2-3 behind W. Black 9
He also composed problems.
Robertson, Dr William M.D. (1818–1882)
Joined 1843 (p 13)
Rose, James (1797–1864)¬W.S.
Secretary 1825-1848 [?] and President 1852-63.
With firm Horne & Rose.
Ross, Captain David William (1787–1851) E.I.C.S.
One of original 31 members.
Rush, V. B. [Victor Brentnall] 1874-1951
English-born. Richardson team 1939. http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter170.html Item 11008
Simpson, James (c1744–1826)
Original member. Baker.
Spens, Walter Cook (1842–1900)
Joined 1862 (p18) Appears on Council records for 1865–66 season. 1870-transferred to Hamilton Sheriff Ct.
Stirling, Sir Samuel, Bart.
Swinton,George (1780–1854) F.R.S.E.
Civil Servant and Botanist. Member 1834 (page 12) He was born at Swinton House, near Swinton, Berwickshire, the son of advocate John Swinton. He had a distinguished career with the East India Company, including positions as Persian Secretary and Chief Secretary of Bengal. During his time in India he collected and donated many specimens to the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He was admitted as a member of the society in 1827, having been sponsored by David Brewster, the noted scientist, inventor and author. When Swinton retired in 1833 he returned to Scotland and lived at 4 Atholl Crescent, Edinburgh. In botany, he is remembered by the name of a flowering plant, swintonia.
Council member 1840 and 1841
A small collection of 29 problems with a Knight’s tour, translated by Mr George Swinton for George Walker from a modern Persian (?Indian) original. It is of little value, but was the source of a couple of papers by George Walker in the CPC; 1844, p180 and 1845, p240. MURRAY
UK, Registers of Employees of the East India Company and the India Office, 1746-1939 for George Swinton
Thomson, John Graham (1856–1932)
Club Secretary 1924–28
1901 Richardson team
BCM 1922, p23 President of Edinburgh CC made a gift to the club of £200, and a further loan of £400. Enabled the club to purchase rooms at 1 Alva St.
BCM 1932, p202 Obituary. Died at his residence in Edinburgh on March 23 at the age of 76. One of the oldest and most generous supporters of chess in Scotland. Joined Edinburgh CC in April, 1888. Won the club championship 1890/91 and again in 1899/1900 and 1901/2. Twice filled the office of president of the club and was secretary for several years. He gave generous financial support and was largely instrumental in the purchase of the present club premises. Presidency of the local chess league was filled by him from 1929 until his death. Former president of the SCA and a life member of the BCF.Solicitor by profession. Accomplished mathematician, author of several inventions, and was much interested in astronomy.
F Herald 1932, April 6. Obit of Thomson, a lawyer.
Wauchope, Andrew (?–1835)
Original member. Membership closed 1835.
Merchant – Ivory turner and toy shop manager
Webb, Patrick Robert (ca 1809–1886)
Members Roll-p16. Says Pres 1868-9. On club council 1864 President 1868–69
One of several Edinburgh CC members on the local committee for Dundee 1867. Others were Dr JC Fraser, John Macfie, Col Robertson. 1861 census – in Edinburgh. 1871 census – in England. Member of the Celtic Society.
Whytock, Richard Barnett (1784–1857)
Furnishings, Upholstery, Carpet Manufacturer.
Wylie, D. (1793–1864)
Depute-Clerk of Session (a post previously held by his father, Henry Johnston Wylie)
A.I.A. Associate of the Institute of Actuaries
C.A. Chartered Accountant
D.D. Doctor of Divinity
D.L Deputy Lieutenant
F.F.A. Fellow of the Faculty of Actuaries
F.R.C.S Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons
F.R.S.E. Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
K.C. King’s Counsel
M.A. Master of Arts
M.D. Doctor of Medicine
M.I.P.E. Member of the Institute of Production Engineers
J.P. Justice of the Peace
S.S.C. Solicitor to the Supreme Courts of Scotland
W.S. Writer to the Signet